Monday, June 4, 2012

Mercy's Hippo Ballerina Cake

Mercy turned four last Sunday, which is almost impossible to believe, but true.  For months she's been telling me she wants a ballerina birthday cake, but about two weeks ago she became infatuated with hippos.


She's never seen fantasia, but she combined the hippo and the ballerina ideas herself.  All I can figure is that, as much as she wanted a hippopotamus cake, she didn't want to let go of the ballerina idea, either.  I spent a week and a half floundering--trying to figure out exactly how in the world I was going to make a ballerina hippopotamus cake.  In the end, this is what happened.






The tutu is made of layers of buttercream icing.  Yes, that's a lot of frosting!


And the hippo is, of course, fondant, as are the ribbons and buttons.


Mercy being sung to.





Enjoying some hippopotamus birthday cake.  It was huge.  Even with a party, we have been, and will continue to be, eating a lot of cake...




2 comments:

  1. Love it! Did you frost this yourself? It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did. I took some classes once upon a time as a teenager. But I get so little practice now that I'm pretty slow!

      Delete