Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tandoori Chicken

I'm rediscovering many favorite recipes lately.  In all of our nomadicism many of them were pushed by the wayside.  It can be difficult to keep a steady stock of necessary ingredients when sharing a pantry.


This is one that my family has been very excited about partaking of once again.  Tandoori chicken.  The recipe even came from a friend who grew up in India.  My children devour it, as do Ryan and I.  And if you're afraid of spice, you needn't fear this recipe.  It is delightfully savory without being "spicy hot."




The recipe actually calls for a fryer, but we just have a little portable grill, and it doesn't handle bone-in chicken.  If you don't have a grill at all, you can use a broiler pan in the oven.  And don't let the list of ingredients or lengthy instructions deter you.  All of the ingredients are just tossed into a food processor, then you basically marinate and then cook the chicken.  It looks scary, but it is actually very easy, and so worth it!  Even my children ask for "yellow chicken."  I'm happy to oblige.  And now for the recipe.  


Tandoori Chicken:
1 medium onion, diced
1 garlic clove
3 T. salad oil
2 T. lemon juice
1 T. minced ginger or 3/4 t. ground (I recommend fresh)
2 t. salt
1/2 t. ground cumin
1.5 t. ground coriander
1 t. sugar
1/2 t. turmeric
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1/4 c. plain yogurt
1, 3lb. broiler-fryer, quartered


In blender container or food processor, place all ingredients except yogurt and chicken.  Blend or process at high speed until pureed.  Pour mixture into 12x8 baking dish and stir in yogurt.


With a sharp knife, make 3 diagonal slashes in each chicken breast half; do not cut all the way through to the bone.  Make 2 diagonal slashes in each thigh.  Make several small cuts in each drumstick.  Add chicken to yogurt mixture.  Cover and refrigerate at least 12 hours, turning chicken occasionally.


Prepare outdoor grill for barbecuing.  When grill is ready, place chicken on grill over low coals.  Cook 35 minutes or until chicken is fork-tender, turning often and basting with yogurt mixture. 


To broil in oven, marinate as above.  Place chicken skin down in broiler pan and baste.  Broil about seven to nine inches from source of heat 25 minutes or until browned.  Turn and baste with remaining mixture; broil 15 minutes longer or until chicken is fork-tender.



14 comments:

  1. Looks yummy!
    Thanks for joining us to Wandering through Wednesday!!
    Tori
    http://thriftytori.blogspot.com/2011/06/wandering-through-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your recipes always look so good! I've been following you for some time, but wanted to stop by and say hi from the Thursday blog hop - hope you can visit me at http://www.thejoyfuljungle.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    Nice article! It will me more chose what I will buy and What I will select for me.
    Thank’s

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm following from the it's almost Friday hop. Come visit me back!

    Michelle @ Things Sent My Way

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am on a 3 month gluten free trial. It is easy at home but a challenge when eating out. I am a new follower from the Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so good! We love Indian food:) I will have to adjust to soy yogurt but how yummy.

    New follower from No Ordinary Blog Hop. Can't wait to follow more posts and see what you are making.

    Renita
    www.krazykuehnerdays.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds delicious! Thanks for linking up with us today.....I'm also trying to rediscover some of our favorites ~ and plan ahead so that I have what I need to make them! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing. I love finding new GF recipes. Thankfully I don't have to eat GF, but have several friends who do, so I like reading and learning more about GF diets and finding recipes to pass along. I followed you from Mom Blog Monday Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I'm a new follower! I found you through the Twitter Hop, but am very interested in gluten-free foods. I was born with a rare syndrome and I'm thinking being gluten-free could only help my health situation!
    Nice to meet you and look forward to your blog!
    Would love if you hopped by to visit my blog!
    My daughter and I made a little craft we're giving away!
    Nancy
    http://stylendecordeals.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. New follower from the hop! Hope you will hop by Girl Tech Divas and follow back.

    www.girltechdivas.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds delicious! We all love indian food - so long as it's not too spicy for the kids!

    Just stopped by from a weekend blog hop. I’m following you now and hope you’ll stop by my blog sometime too! Have a lovely weekend.
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Amber,

    I'm back off gluten again starting tomorrow and consider it lucky that I found your blog at the The Baby Bottom Line today. I'm looking for recipes and so I'm going to follow you for more like the one in this post. Yum. Please follow me too at
    http://westvistaurbanfarmschool.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are a milk allergy family.


    New blog follower! Come follow back and enter my great giveaways! http://www.peacelovepoop.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummm! Visiting and now following via Mom Blog Monday Hop...hop on over to my blog and follow back if you like! http://mom4realky.blogspot.com

    Jessica K.

    ReplyDelete