Friday, October 22, 2010

A Gluten Free Pantry

When people learn that I can't have gluten, they often ask what I can bake with.  Sure, when you start out, most of us use mixes--and there are far many of those available now than there were just a few years ago.  However, I soon wanted more variety and a more cost-effective option.  No matter what way you swing it, cooking gluten free will never be an inexpensive as using wheat flour, but doing it from scratch certainly gets you closer.


The only gluten in our home can be found in a loaf of bread I keep for my husband's sandwiches and regular pasta--I use two pots and make regular for him because it costs less.  Other than that, we all eat gluten free.


Right now I'm operating out of a very small kitchen that doesn't have a pantry.  Someday I plan on being able to store many of my flours in larger quantities.  But for now, here's a sampling of my gluten-free baking supplies.




This was taken right after we moved in two months ago, so many of my flours were low.  Those large containers on the bottom contain mixes I make myself, and the containers on the top of the cabinet have various flours, meals, etc.  And yes, the containers on the top are double-stacked.  There's more you can't see!  The first two baskets of that wire rack are also gluten-free products, which includes my rices and quinoa.


I would love to have the option of having just one or two bags of flour.  However, though starting a gluten free pantry can be a daunting process, it is well worth the effort for the results it brings!

9 comments:

  1. Cute blog! Thanks for joining us for Mommy Madness! I'm following you back and look forward to reading your blog!

    Jennifer @ Life with the Lebedas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the follow - I'm following you as well now. Always nice to find other Gluten Free moms! :)

    www.WFMdiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm your newest follower from Mommy Madness! I hope you will stop by and say hello!
    http://blogginmommadrama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there! I just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for an award on my page! Congrats!! www.athomemoma.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! I actually bake some wheat free items for my family (especially my baby girl) just because it's healthier to rotate your grains. It is really difficult to find a wheat and corn free baby snack or cracker! I can't imagine how difficult it would be to switch to pure gluten free!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for stopping by! :) I'm following you back!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just started a gluten-free diet, and it can be really overwhelming. There are so many different grains and seeds to use instead of wheat. I'm beginning to think that almost everything at the regular grocery stores has either wheat, corn, or soy. Organizing all those different flours in containers, like you've done, is a good idea. At this point, I have a bunch of different bags stashed on the shelf, but the bags really aren't practical. Thanks for the picture and inspiration!

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for joining in the Cornucopia of Blogs Hop! I am now following you back.

    Mellisa
    www.funsavingmoney.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm following you from the Cornocopia of Blogs, but am really interested in diving deeper into your blog, as I believe we are about to start a gluten-free diet in our home to address a variety of health issues. I want to learn as much as I can before actually attempting it!
    Ours+His+Mine=Nine!

    ReplyDelete