Monday, October 18, 2010

Gluten Free Bread in 5 Minutes a Day

Have you heard of Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day?  It has become all the rage among many of my friends.  I must admit that when I first heard about it I was a bit jealous.  Okay, make that a lot jealous.  Why couldn't those of us who have to make our own bread from scratch have a quick and easy option like that?  But I determined to be happy for my friends and moved on.


Then, a couple of weeks ago, a friend who's husband also has celiac pointed me to the website Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day and the recipe for a gluten free crusty boule.  The new book, Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day has a gluten-free chapter, and this is a sample recipe.


I've made it twice now, once with the "neutral oil" and once with olive oil.  We really prefer the neutral oil version.  For some reason the olive oil one seems bland by comparison.  The texture also isn't as desirable.


Mercy and I have never had bread as a daily option in the past.  She now wakes up almost every morning, grabs her little stepstool and declares "I look at the bread!"



This is most definitely a "rustic" type of artisan bread.  Not beautiful, but still nice.  And the flavor is so, well, bready!


When I made it with the neutral oil there were a lot more "air pockets" which I rather liked.  It seems backwards since the recipe says the olive oil will yield a lighter loaf.  I may have to give it another whirl.  And, though the recipe calls for a dutch oven, I don't have one.  So I looked in a friends artisan in five book and found the instructions for using a baking stone.  It may turn out even better in that dutch oven.  One is now officially on my wish list!

I'm thinking that eventually purchasing Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day might be worth it just for that one gluten free chapter.


8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the follow! Following back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Thanks for sharing!
    Hi there,
    I'm from the hop! Stop by sometime!
    http://www.beckhamandbloom.com
    Happy Monday
    Melly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there! I LOVE to make my own bread...and my first runs with a new recipe were also rather "rough" looking, so don't give up!

    Following you back...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! Thanks for stopping by and following my blog from Making Friends Monday spotlight! I'm following back. ;)

    Have a great week!
    Jennifer @ http://justpeachyindixie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. At Home Moma following you back. www.athomemoma.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Following you back! Thanks so much! :)

    http://tweepoppets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I'm not much of a cook or a baker...trying to be though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome!! i've found a great bread recipe but i can not wait to try this.

    found you thru the home grown families blog hop.

    ReplyDelete